THE RICHIE BRACE
AFO (Ankle Foot Orthoses) Specialist device for complex Foot & Ankle Pathologies.
The Richie Brace is a custom ankle brace otherwise known as an ankle foot orthoses. This specialist medical device is designed to treat chronic conditions of the foot and ankle (See list to the right). It may or may not be used in conjunction with other therapies.
Introduced to the medical community in 1996, The Richie Brace® has revolutionised the non-operative approach to the most challenging foot & ankle pathologies treated by the foot and ankle specialist and has transformed patient quality of life and functionality.
The brace has a contoured balanced orthotic footplate articulated to an adjustable semi-rigid lower leg uprights, the Richie Brace® is ideally suited to stabilise rotational forces at the Midtarsal, Subtalar and Talo-Crural joints. Modifications and enhancements are available to add further restrictions of motion in sagittal, frontal and transverse plane. The role of the brace is to “couple” the foot and ankle to more effectively reduce excessive force through the affected structures.
In order to prescribe the device appropriately here at ZW Clinics we would initially need to take:
- Comprehensive lower limb assessment
- Plaster of Paris Cast of the foot & ankle required
- Tailored rehabilitation programme alongside the prescribed device
- Reviews of progression of using the brace. We are with you every step of the way!
Conditions where The Richie Brace can be used:
- Foot Drop.
- Adult acquired Flatfoot deformity and Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction (PTTD).
- Chronic Ankle Instability.
- Complex Foot & Ankle dysfunction related to trauma or other factors.